About the Film
The #1 Canadian movie musical comes to the United States on December 1st, 2020 for an exclusive one-night-only premiere with Fathom Events.
“Hamilton meets Fiddler on the Roof meets West Side Story” – Reel Chicago. “Broadway-worthy tunes…a film that is actually about something, made by people who are expert storytellers” – Globe & Mail. “One of the greatest historical stories I have ever seen” – Hollywood North. “Four stars” – CBC Radio.
An immigrant Romeo & Juliet battle for love and a better future during a time of social upheaval. Director Robert Adetuyi (“Stomp the Yard”, “Bring It On”) teams up with two-time Emmy Award-winning cinematographer Roy Wagner in this movie adaptation of Juno-award-winning composer Danny Schur & Rick Chafe’s hit musical.
Starring Marshall Williams (“Glee”, “How to Build a Better Boy” – Disney), Laura Slade Wiggins (“Shameless”, “Nancy Drew & the Hidden Staircase”), Lisa Bell & Gregg Henry (“Guardians of the Galaxy”, “Scandal”). Featuring Hayley Sales (“Deadpool 2”), Paul Essiembre, Tristan Carlucci, Gabriel Daniels, Ryan Ash, Blake Taylor, Robin Ruel & Boris Gulyarin. “Stand” sung by Lisa Bell.
1919. Stefan and his father Mike fled Ukraine for the New World, where they struggle to earn enough to re-unite the family. Stefan is instantly smitten with the Jewish suffragette neighbour, Rebecca – but Rebecca’s brother Moishe and Mike oppose the would-be Romeo and Juliet. Returned soldiers, angry at the lack of jobs after the war, violently threaten the city’s immigrants, including Emma, the refugee from racist violence in Oklahoma. When a movement develops for workers to leave their jobs in protest, AJ Anderson, a wealthy lawyer, pits all against each other in a dramatic and inspirational final stand.
- Director: Robert Adetuyi
- Writers: Danny Schur & Rick Chafe
- Music, Lyrics & Score: Danny Schur
- Producers: Danny Schur & Jeff Peeler
- Executive Producers: Terry Cholka, Gail Asper, Hartley Richardson, Sharon Azrieli, Harry Ethans, Jamie Brown, Robert Adetuyi
- Cinematographer: Roy Wagner, ASC
- Editor: Ron Wisman, CCE
- Production Designer: Marian Wihak
- Production Companies: Boomtalk Musical Production & Frantic Films
- Produced with the Participation of Telefilm Canada.
- Produced with financial investment from Manitoba Film & Music.
- Shot entirely on location in Winnipeg, Canada. August-September, 2018
- Shot exclusively on Black Magic Design cameras with Sigma lenses.
RATED PG for some violence & coarse language.