About the Film
TICKETS ON SALE NOW for these cities across Canada, opening Nov. 29th: Victoria, Nanaimo, Vancouver, Mission, Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Regina, Winnipeg, Windsor, London, Guelph, Hamilton, Vaughan, Toronto, Barrie, Ajax, Ottawa, Montreal, Laval, Quebec City, Halifax & St. John’s.
An immigrant Romeo & Juliet battle for love and a better future during a time of social upheaval. Director Robert Adetuyi (“Stomp the Yard”, “Bring It On”) teams up with two-time Emmy Award-winning cinematographer Roy Wagner in this movie adaptation of Juno-award-winning composer Danny Schur & Rick Chafe’s hit musical (“One of the best new musicals” – Globe & Mail, “One wonders if Evita will impress as much” – Star Phoenix, “Irresistibly catchy” – CBC Radio).
Starring Marshall Williams (“Glee”, “How to Build a Better Boy” – Disney), Laura Slade Wiggins (“Shameless”, “Nancy Drew & the Hidden Staircase”), Lisa Bell & Gregg Henry (“Guardians of the Galaxy”, “Scandal”). Featuring Hayley Sales (“Deadpool 2”), Paul Essiembre, Tristan Carlucci, Gabriel Daniels, Ryan Ash, Blake Taylor, Robin Ruel & Boris Gulyarin. “Stand” sung by Lisa Bell.
1919. Stefan and his father Mike fled Ukraine for the New World, where they struggle to earn enough to re-unite the family. Stefan is instantly smitten with the Jewish suffragette neighbour, Rebecca – but Rebecca’s brother Moishe and Mike oppose the would-be Romeo and Juliet. Returned soldiers, angry at the lack of jobs after the war, violently threaten the city’s immigrants, including Emma, the refugee from racial persecution in Oklahoma. When a movement develops for workers to leave their jobs in protest, AJ Anderson, a wealthy lawyer, pits all against each other in a dramatic and inspirational final stand.
- Director: Robert Adetuyi
- Writers: Danny Schur & Rick Chafe
- Music, Lyrics & Score: Danny Schur
- Producers: Danny Schur & Jeff Peeler
- Executive Producers: Terry Cholka, Gail Asper, Hartley Richardson, Sharon Azrieli, Harry Ethans, Jamie Brown, Robert Adetuyi, Cal Harrison
- Cinematographer: Roy Wagner, ASC
- Editor: Ron Wisman, CCE
- Production Designer: Marian Wihak
- Production Companies: Boomtalk Musical Production & Frantic Films
- Produced with the Participation of Telefilm Canada.
- Produced with financial investment from Manitoba Film & Music.
- Shot entirely on location in Winnipeg, Canada. August-September, 2018
- Shot exclusively on Black Magic Design cameras with Sigma lenses.
Premiering November 29th, 2019. RATED PG for some violence & course language.